Is your patio an extension of your home? If you look out there and see just the basics, plus a few toys that need to be put away, you may not be drawn to using that space. Contrary to popular belief, you can have kids and also have nice things. Besides, if your outdoor living space was a little more welcoming and stylish, you might actually get more use out of that valuable real estate. You may even be more comfortable inviting your child's friends' parents over for a cookout. Below are a few finishing touches that will make a bold statement.
- Outdoor Canvas Art - Yes, outdoor canvas art really does exist, and it is spectacular. The canvas is just as nice as something you would have inside your home, only it is given a special coating that protects against environmental elements. There is a huge selection of outdoor canvas art which can be found online at stores like SoothingCompany.com.
- Umbrella - You can't imagine how much more often you will want to use your patio, if you have an umbrella to provide a little shade. This is especially important if you have fair-skinned children who burn fast. Eating lunch outside on a Saturday may sound fun, but the thought of applying sunscreen, knowing you won't be out there long is just too much of a headache. Sit them under the umbrella and you won't have to.
- Rug - One of the most forgotten elements also tends to have the biggest impact on an outdoor space. A large decorative rug makes the patio feel like a real room. Plus, everyone can take their shoes off without worrying about stepping on hot cement or decking. You can just spray the rug with the hose when it needs cleaning
- Bird Accessories - When you have a bird feeder and fountain nearby you will feel yourself naturally drawn to the space. This is especially true if you can look out a window and see the bird's out there. You will start noticing that the same birds tend to return every day around the same time. Your child can name them and watch for them to return.
- Centerpiece - Nearly everyone has a centerpiece on their kitchen, dining room, and coffee tables, but few add a centerpiece to their table outside. If you are entertaining or if your family is just spending time outside for the day, fresh cut flowers are a nice touch. Your kids can always paint rocks to put in a wicker basket for a centerpiece. Even a citronella candle is better than nothing.